Cruising the world (5) - all in a day's work
Life on board the Dawn Princess continues to be as busy or relaxing as you so desire! The clocks go forward one hour a lot, which makes the day go quickly.
Some examples of daytime activities:
- Attend informative lectures on what's happening at the next port of call.
- Tune into Chad's (love the name) shopping channel on TV and learn how to buy diamonds.
- Watch the very interesting art auctions (hand goes out for free champagne). The ship holds huge amounts of supposed originals. Highest bid for one was Australian $46,000. Cheapest around $35.00.
- Watch a very funny culinary demonstration with the Italian executive chef. His English is very limited but his love of food is obvious.
- Galley tour of the scrupulously clean stainless steel massive kitchens. One galley each for the two large restaurants, one for buffet restaurant. There is also a steak house and a pizzeria. We've tried them all.
- Small example of food consumption = 9,000 eggs used daily,1,660 kgs of beef, lamb, turkey, poultry per day.
- Pastry shop has 12 chefs creating 4,050 sweets & pastries per day. Every few days the pastry chefs show off their talents displaying towers, ships, creatures, flowers made out of icing etc. around the restaurant areas. Same with the fruit and vegetable and ice carvers.
- Something for the addicted shoppers (who, me?) every day, e.g. rings, bracelets, jewellery, watches, clothes and $20 sales.
- Daily walks (when at sea) around the ship then considerable time recovering in very comfortable deck chair watching out for whales. Spied one only.
Emailing takes quite some time due to the erratic nature of internet connection availability.
We had a change of Maitre'd at San Francisco. A smooooth Italian named Raj(?). When he introduced himself to us he emphasised the rrrrrrrrr. Reminded me of a toothpaste advertisement such was the rather sleazy smile and glistening teeth!!
Tuesday at 5.30am in customary fog, we passed under the Golden Gate Bridge, national landmark and icon to many travellers. Temperature 12º with a chilly wind.
Next stop - Alcatraz!