This from The A-Z Party Book - the complete guide to entertaining published by The Daily Mirror in 1963:
'Keep the food simple when it's coming before a meal. If there are quite a few guests and you're going to offer them a buffet-style meal, start with some of these Stick Snacks.
1. Wedges of eating apple wrapped in sliced cooked ham.
2. Halved black grapes, seeded and stuffed with cream cheese.
3. Small pieces of cooked chipolata sausages spread with tomato sauce or vegetable extract and rolled in chopped walnuts.
4. Cream cheese mixed with a little curry powder and rolled into bite-sized pieces.
5. Tomato wedges and cubes of blue cheese.
6. Fresh peeled prawns and 1" pieces of celery.
7. Grated cheddar cheese mixed with a little milk and made mustard and rolled in toasted coconut.
8. Small pieces of tinned pineapple, glace cherries and cubes of sharp cheese.
9. Tiny cooked bacon rolls and small pieces of tinned pineapple or peach.
10. Cubes of pressed beef and coloured cocktail onions.
11. Cooked mussels wrapped in curls of grilled bacon.
12. Plump prunes, pitted and stuffed with cream cheese.
Bring back happy memories? Mmm…